Charlottesville Burn Injury Attorney
Get the Compensation You Need to Recover from a Burn
More than other injuries, burns have the potential for life-altering complications. When our clients suffer a bad burn, we know that they are facing expensive medical bills and emotional challenges that deserve compensation. We extend to all burn injury clients our compassion and our legal experience in this area.
Burns can happen in a variety of situations. Some burns are superficial and can heal on their own in a matter of months. Other burns, however, can turn a victim’s life upside down. For help bringing a legal claim, contact a Charlottesville burn injury lawyer today for a free case evaluation.
Generally, burn severity refers to the depth of the burn and the amount of tissue that is injured. Doctors typically classify burns as follows:
- First-degree burns. The least serious burns, these can heal on their own with few complications. First-degree burns damage only the outer layer of skin and rarely become infected.
- Second-degree burns. Both layers of the skin are damaged, and victims can experience blistering. Second-degree burns vary significantly, with many leaving permanent scars. Some require skin grafts.
- Third-degree burns. These burns reach the tissue underneath the skin and can damage nerves, muscle, bones, and soft tissue. A victim might need an amputation.
Burns confined to a small area are often easier to treat. Those that cover a large area of the body can become fatal.
Burn victims often experience a dramatic drop in their life quality. Some will struggle to regain a sense of normalcy, and family members can struggle alongside them. Serious complications include:
- Infection. If a burn is not cleaned properly, it can become infected. Infection can enter the bloodstream and become fatal.
- Disfigurement. Many burns leave a permanent scar on a person, who can experience intense anguish when the scar covers the face or other visible body part.
- Emotional distress. A burn victim can quickly feel swamped by negative emotions and fears for the future. Depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder are common.
- Limited mobility. Contracted skin over joints can severely impair a person’s mobility. Surgery and rehabilitation can help somewhat.
How Victims Suffer Burn Injuries
We have seen burn injuries arise in many contexts, including car and truck accidents. For example, motorists can suffer burns when a vehicle catches on fire or when battery acid splashes on them.
Other clients are burned by defective products. Batteries can cause electronics to catch on fire, or defective clothing can burn while a person is wearing the item. The federal government has put in place countless safety regulations to minimize the risk of fires, but defective products come to the market regularly.
Electrocution is also a serious cause of burns. When a current runs through the body, many internal organs can suffer damage. Electrocution burns are hard to identify and treat because they are invisible. But they can lead to organ failure, heart attack, and brain injuries.
When our lawyers identify how you were burned, we can seek compensation from the person to blame. This could be a motorist, manufacturer, or property owner.
Free Consultations with a Charlottesville Burn Injury Lawyer
There is no typical burn case. Our burn injury lawyers have helped many people, young and old, who have suffered a serious burn. Let us fight to get you the compensation you need. Call MichieHamlett today to schedule an appointment.