Charlottesville Business & Corporate Law Attorney
Keeping an Eye on the Bottom Line & Your Legal Rights at the Same Time
Businesses face liability exposure every single day. From the contracts they sign to the employment agreements they enter into, businesses must have an eye focused on possible lawsuits.
At MichieHamlett, our business and corporate law attorneys in Charlottesville understand how difficult it is to operate in this economic climate. We bring value to a business by helping them enforce their rights under various legal agreements and prevent disputes from erupting in the first place by carefully drafting agreements with clear, favorable terms. Contact us today to get started.
The legal form your business takes can go a long way to shielding our clients from legal liability. Forming a sole proprietorship, for example, makes the owners personally liable on all business obligations. The same is true of some partnerships.
Before forming, meet with a Charlottesville business and corporate law attorney. We will help you choose the best form based on a variety of considerations, such as the number of owners and your goals for growth in the near- and medium-term. We will then file necessary documents with the state.
Business Law Transactions
Legal agreements form the foundation of any successful enterprise. Our lawyers can help with:
- Bylaws and company agreements
- Asset purchase agreements
- Employment and independent contractor agreements
- Buy-sell agreements
- Stock purchase or sale agreement
- Dispute resolution clauses
Some small business owners look for template agreements that they find online. But that is a serious mistake. You need someone who knows the unique ways that your business is exposed to liability. If you are doing business with larger entities, they will have in-house counsel dedicated to drafting contacts that are advantageous to their firm. You need someone who can haggle over clauses to protect your rights.
Legal assistance is most acute when merging with or acquiring another business. Our lawyers can do the due diligence to ensure that you are truly benefitting from the transaction.
Business and Corporate Litigation
Litigation costs money and is best avoided. But business disputes inevitably break out. When they do, our clients benefit from our experience to prevent them from being taken to cleaners.
We can help with a variety of business disputes, including:
- Intellectual property misappropriation
- Breach of contract
- Consumer protection violations
- Fraud and other business torts
- Shareholder disputes
- Complex litigation
These are only some of the key areas we have helped clients with. Contact us to discuss whether we can help.
We Put You First
Successful litigation focuses on more than just winning (though that is important). We also strive to achieve the following on behalf of our clients:
- Maintain privacy and protect your company’s reputation. One risk with litigation is the risk it poses to the good will you have worked so hard to develop over the years. Our lawyers have experience with alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation or arbitration, which is private.
- Litigate efficiently. Litigation costs firms money. Unlike other firms, we don’t run up the bill.
- Maintain the business relationship. Many companies hope to continue to work with the other business that they are in a dispute with.
Contact Us Today
Businesses and corporations have unique legal needs. Your Charlottesville business attorney should understand your business and how it is positioned in the market. Call MichieHamlett today to learn more about how we can help.