Charlottesville Criminal Defense Attorney
Place Your First Call after Arrest to MichieHamlett
Nothing is more terrifying than being arrested for a crime. Not only do you face the prospect of time in prison, but your reputation can be ruined. Many convicted defendants will tell you that they can neatly divide their lives into two parts—before the conviction and after.
At MichieHamlett, we understand how hard it is to face criminal prosecution for even relatively minor offenses. Our team stands ready and able to bring a vigorous defense on your behalf. Please reach out today to speak with a Charlottesville criminal defense lawyer.
Cases We Handle
There are literally thousands of state and federal laws that limit what people can do on a daily basis. It is very easy to run afoul of at least one law and end up arrested.
Our lawyers have helped clients facing federal or state charges, whether they are misdemeanor or felony. We will defend someone accused of:
- Drug possession or distribution. Although there is a push to decriminalize possession of certain drugs in Virginia, many prosecutors haven’t gotten the message. They can and will prosecute for possession of even small amounts of controlled substances.
- Driving under the Influence. A DUI can ruin a person’s driving history and result in a loss of license. If someone was hurt while you were drunk, then penalties increase enormously.
- Theft crimes. Taking property that does not belong to you is a crime. The more valuable the property, the stiffer the penalties.
- White collar crimes. Both the state and federal governments aggressively prosecute white collar crimes such as bribery, forgery, bank fraud, embezzlement, money laundering, and obstruction of justice.
- Sex crimes. Rape, sexual battery, and possession of child pornography can land you in jail and on the registered sex offender list.
- Violent crimes. Assault, battery, manslaughter, and homicide receive the stiffest sentences. Because the stakes are so high, you need an attorney committed to your defense.
If you are facing criminal charges, or if you think the police have fingered you as a suspect, contact our Charlottesville criminal defense attorney now.
No Case is Too Small
Not every defendant will end up in jail. Judges take many factors into account, including your criminal history and the details of the crime. Some people end up on probation, while others only pay a fine.
However, a conviction for even a low-level misdemeanor can have dramatic effects. Something as minor as a disorderly conduct conviction can follow you around for decades. It becomes part of the fabric of your life. Whenever you apply for a job or apartment, you will have to disclose this and any other convictions. If you seek a professional license or credential, you might have to answer for your criminal convictions.
College students eager to begin their lives might have hamstrung themselves with a criminal conviction. For this reason, it is vital that you do everything possible to fight charges.
Level the Playing Field by Contacting a Charlottesville Criminal Defense Lawyer
The government has endless resources at its disposal, and fighting a Charlottesville criminal charge requires competent legal help. At MichieHamlett, we have a record of success getting charges reduced or dismissed. We can even take your case to a jury to vindicate your good name.
Contact us today. We offer a free consultation.