Richmond Birth Injuries Attorneys
The prospect of labor and delivery is sometimes intimidating to women, and no one ever wants to think that something will go wrong. Unfortunately, the medical staff present for the birth are sometimes negligent and make mistakes that cause irreparable harm to the child. If your child has been the victim of medical malpractice that resulted in your child’s birth injury, call our experienced Richmond birth injury attorneys today.
Causes of Birth Injuries
Labor and delivery rooms are busy places and decisions have to be made quickly to prevent injury to the child. The birth process is extremely complex and things can go wrong in an instant. Even when they do, doctors and other healthcare professionals are responsible for knowing what to do to prevent further injury to the child. Some of the most common causes of birth injuries include:
- Unusual or awkward birth positions
- The placenta detaching from the uterine wall too soon
- Circulation issues within the umbilical cord
- Labor that proceeds too quickly or not quickly enough
- Use of excessive force
- Failing to accurately anticipate the birth weight of the child
- Failure to order a C-section early enough
When any of these situations occur during labor and delivery, it can result in significant injury to the infant.
Common Types of Birth Injuries
Sadly, there are many types of birth injuries an infant can sustain during the birthing process. The most common of these are as follows:
- Cerebral palsy: A condition that will remain with a child for their entire life, cerebral palsy impacts body movement and muscle coordination. This injury is usually caused by improper use of birthing tools and inadequate training.
- Erb’s palsy: Erb’s palsy is an injury caused by damage to the brachial plexus, a network of nerves in the shoulder and upper arm. This type of injury can result in immobility in the arm, shoulder, or fingers. Children can typically make a full recovery, but that requires extensive physical therapy. Erb’s palsy is typically caused by a doctor pulling too hard on the child during delivery.
- Klumpke’s palsy: Klumpke’s palsy is also an injury that is caused by the infant’s neck being pulled too hard during delivery. This injury will result in nerve damage to the forearm and hand and can affect the child for the rest of their life.
- Facial palsy: Any mistake in the labor or delivery room can result in facial palsy, which causes the muscles on one side of the face to become paralyzed. The injury is rare and although it is typically not permanent, in rare cases it does not disappear.
Many parents think these injuries are simply a stroke of bad luck, but they are preventable. A lawyer can advise on whether your child was a victim of medical malpractice, and hold the negligent party liable.
Call Our Virginia Birth Injury Lawyers Today
If your child was harmed during labor or delivery, call our Richmond birth injury lawyers today. At MichieHamlett, we know that any birth should be a joyous time. When negligent medical staff have turned it into one of heartache, we hold them liable for paying the full damages you and your family deserve. Call us today at (434) 951-7200 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.