Richmond Distracted Driving Car Accidents Attorney
It only takes a moment of a driver’s distraction to result in a catastrophic crash or fatalities. According to Carsurance, a driver who reaches for an object in the vehicle is eight times more likely to cause a collision. Distracted driving has been on the rise ever since the presence of cell phones and texting, but it is not an excusable behavior. If you or someone you care for has been injured in a traffic accident that was caused by a distracted driver, that driver needs to be held accountable for the damages through a personal injury lawsuit. A skilled Richmond distracted driving car accident attorney can help you collect evidence to prove liability and advocate on your behalf for proper compensation.
Types of Distracted Driving
- Visual Distractions – This happens when a driver takes their eyes off of the road and thus cannot react to movements of other road users near them in time to avoid a crash;
- Manual Distractions – This occurs when a driver takes their hands away from the steering wheel and thereby lose some or all control of the vehicle; and
- Cognitive Distractions – This is when the driver’s mind wanders away from the task of driving, causing them to miss a turn or fail to see other’s signaling in traffic.
It is possible for a driver to be distracted in multiple ways at once. A study completed by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found that tasks that are both visual and manual, such as texting or emailing on a phone while driving, increase the odds of a crash by 83 percent.
Common Types of Distracted Driving
- Talking, texting, emailing on a phone;
- Using a smartphone app;
- Looking at printed maps or a navigation system;
- Eating or drinking;
- Changing the car radio station;
- Talking to the car’s passengers;
- Watching a video;
- Looking at scenery or outside attractions;
- Grooming; and
How a Skilled Distracted Driving Accident Attorney Can Help With Compensation
Even though it may seem obvious who caused the collision immediately after impact, it can become more difficult to prove fault when insurance companies get involved. The insurance company representing the liable party will do everything in their power to deny the claim or settle for less than it is worth. An experienced distracted driving accident attorney will guide you through how to handle the process, collect all medical documentation to substantiate the worth of your case, and negotiate when the insurance companies try to ignore the severity of the injuries sustained.
Contact a Richmond Distracted Driving Car Accident Attorney Today
When a driver causes a car accident because they were not paying attention to the task of driving, and injuries result, they need to be held accountable for the damages they caused. The distracted driving car accident attorneys at MichieHamlett know how to investigate a crash in order to prove liability and will work extensively on your behalf to compile a personal injury claim that will result in maximum compensation. Contact our Richmond offices to schedule your consultation today.