Richmond Family Law Attorney
Everyone wants what is best for their family, but sometimes it is challenging to determine how to achieve your wishes in accordance with state law. It also becomes complex when a couple who has previously made joint decisions about their marriage, including assets and how to care for children, decides that the marriage is no longer working. Dedicated and caring Richmond family law attorneys can help you through many different challenges that your family may face, offering guidance and advocating for what is in the best interest of you and your loved ones.
We Represent Clients Through the Following Life Changes
- Divorce—According to Statista, there were 3.1 divorces per thousand people in 2018 in the state of Virginia, meaning you are not alone if you have to go through this process. Divorce does mean that marital property and debts will need to be divided, spousal support determined, and if there are children, boundaries for their care must be established as well.
- Child custody and visitation—Parents must determine how the children will be taken care of. This includes where they will live, when they will see each parent, and who will make important medical and educational decisions. If an agreement cannot be made, the court will rule on custody and visitation rights. We help clients come up with detailed and comprehensive parenting plans and negotiate with their spouse so that the decisions stay within the family.
- Child support—The United States Department of Agriculture reports that the average cost of raising a child until age 17 is 233,610 dollars. Normally, parents work together to cover expenses by either both putting their income towards the children’s needs or one spouse agreeing to provide child care while the other works. When the parents split, it is important that both parents become responsible financially for the child(ren) and thus child support can be determined by the family courts in Virginia.
- Assisted reproductive technology—When a family requires a gestational carrier or an egg donor, it is prudent to have guidance from a qualified family law attorney who understands the process and each individual’s legal rights.
- Adoption—An adoption attorney can help you understand all of the complex steps required to have a successful adoption and ensure that all of the legal documents are correct so that the adoption is officially recognized and problems do not arise at a later date.
- Counsel for same-sex couples—Our firm understands that LBGTQIA can face prejudices when trying to take care of their family law needs. We work with compassion and advocate for all of clients when it comes to issues of marriage, adoption, surrogacy, and more.
MichieHamlett Can Help With Your Family’s Needs
If you and your spouse are considering divorce or making a significant life change by adopting or using assisted reproductive technology, it is important that you seek legal counsel before proceeding. The Richmond family law attorneys at MichieHamlett have the experience and compassion to help your family navigate smoothly through these massive changes. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.