Richmond Surgical Errors Attorney
Surgery is always a scary prospect to face. By its very nature, surgery is dangerous and comes with many side effects and risks. Patients trust that the surgeons, nurses, and other healthcare workers they depend on will provide the highest standard of care to ensure the risks are mitigated. They never expect that a mistake will occur that harms them even further. If you or a loved one has suffered from a healthcare professional’s mistake, it is important to speak to a Richmond surgical error lawyer that can help.
Surgical Errors and Duty of Care
Medical professionals are held to the highest standard of care that is much more than that of the typical person. When a surgeon breaches this standard of care and does not act in the same prudent manner as another surgeon would have, they are negligent and can be held liable for paying any damages you sustain.
Surgeons are not the only people that are held to a high standard of care in the operating room. Other healthcare professionals that are present in the room are also responsible for providing the same standard of care. Likewise, manufacturers of medical equipment and devices also must meet a high standard of care to ensure their products are safe, or they may face liability issues as well.
Common Causes of Surgical Errors
Surgical errors are a type of medical malpractice, and they occur for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common causes of surgical errors are as follows:
- Lack of preoperative planning: Prior to performing surgery, doctors and healthcare workers must collect your entire medical history, including any medication allergies. Surgeons should also evaluate the risks of surgery, and inform you of all the risks.
- Lack of communication: Operating rooms are stressful places, and medical professionals must ensure nothing goes wrong. To do this, they must constantly communicate with each other about the patient’s vital signs, the equipment and medication needed, and more. When communication breaks down, it could result in catastrophic errors.
- Lack of knowledge: Not every medical professional is equipped to perform every treatment, and that includes surgeons. When surgeons do not have the specific knowledge to perform an operation, or they do not remain current on developments in their field of medicine, patients are at great risk.
- Fatigue: Surgeries sometimes take many hours, and surgeons are under great stress during that time. When surgeons become tired, they are more prone to make mistakes that they would not have otherwise.
- Negligence: One careless mistake in an operating room, such as failing to sterilize surgical equipment, can cause patients to become injured.
It is important to determine the cause of any surgical error, as that can indicate which party to hold liable for paying compensation.
Call Our Virginia Surgical Error Lawyer Today
No one should have to suffer due to a surgical error. If you have been hurt after going into surgery, our Richmond surgical error lawyers are here to help. At MichieHamlett, our knowledgeable attorneys know how to determine which party was at fault for your accident and we will hold them liable for paying the full damages you deserve. Call us today at (434) 951-7200 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation with one of our skilled attorneys so we can discuss your claim.