Roanoke Birth Injury Attorney
Expecting a new baby can be incredibly exciting for parents, and nobody wants to think about the risks of a serious birth injury. However, during pregnancy or during the birth process, the baby can sustain a serious injury that may be permanent and ultimately can be life-threatening. The severity of birth injuries varies widely, and it is critical to seek advice from one of our Roanoke birth injury attorney about your options for filing a claim for compensation. Your obstetrician or another healthcare provider may be responsible for paying damages.
What is a Roanoke Birth Injury Claim?
What is a birth injury claim in Roanoke? Many birth injury claims are brought as medical negligence claims in which the parents file a claim against a negligent healthcare provider who is responsible for the birth injury. According to Stanford Children’s Health, a birth injury is a term that can refer to any type of physical injury that a baby suffers during the birth process.
It is important to understand that, although many birth injury claims are the result of a healthcare provider’s negligence, some birth injuries do not result from medical negligence. Understanding the distinction can be quite complex, and it is essential to have an experienced Roanoke birth injury lawyer assess your case. Examples of birth injury causes in which a healthcare provider may have been negligent include but are not limited to:
- Baby’s brain is deprived of oxygen during the labor and delivery process;
- Healthcare provider is too late in delivering the baby through an emergency cesarean section (or C-section);
- Healthcare provider fails to identify fetal heart rate issues;
- Umbilical cord injury occurs during labor and delivery;
- Uterine rupture during labor and delivery; and/or
- Healthcare provider fails to properly diagnose an infection in the mother.
Common Types of Roanoke Birth Injury Claims Our Firm Handles
There are many different types of birth injuries that can occur. Our firm assists clients with a wide range of birth injury claims, including but not limited to the following types of birth injuries:
- Cerebral palsy;
- Erb’s palsy;
- Forcep injuries; and
- Vacuum extraction injuries.
Who is Liable for a Birth Injury?
Liability for a birth injury can depend upon a variety of circumstances, but the following parties may be liable when a baby sustains a birth injury:
- Obstetrician treating the mother during the pregnancy;
- Obstetrician or nurse practitioner or midwife who delivers the baby;
- Hospital or healthcare facility where the baby is delivered; or
- Anesthesiologist who administers anesthesia during a C-section.
Contact a Roanoke Birth Injury Attorney for More Information About Filing a Medical Malpractice Claim
If you recently gave birth and your child has been diagnosed with a birth injury, you may be able to file a claim. We know how devastating birth injuries can be, and we also know that birth injuries can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and often more, over a child’s lifetime. It is important to hold the negligent healthcare provider accountable and to seek the financial compensation your child deserves and needs. One of our experienced and compassionate Roanoke birth injury attorneys can help you. Contact MichieHamlett for more information about filing a birth injury lawsuit.