Roanoke Medication Error Attorney
Medication errors can be devastating, and patients can suffer long-lasting and life-threatening injuries. When you get a prescription medication from your doctor or other healthcare provider and have that prescription filled at your local pharmacy, you should never have to be concerned that you are taking the wrong medicine or that the drug you have been prescribed could have a harmful interaction with another medication you are currently taking. Yet medication mistakes occur much more frequently than any of us might like to think about. If you suffered any kind of harm because of a medication mistake, you should speak with an experienced Roanoke medication error attorney today about filing a claim against your negligent healthcare provider.
What Are Roanoke Medication Errors?
Medication errors, or medication mistakes, can take many different forms. Generally speaking, as the Mayo Clinic explains, the term “medication errors” is a broad one that refers to “mistakes in prescribing, dispensing, and giving medications.” Every year in the U.S., thousands of people are injured due to medication mistakes. Sometimes medication errors are described as “preventable adverse drug events.” No matter what term you use to describe the situation, any scenario in which a medication results in an injury and that injury could have been prevented with proper care from a healthcare provider, it may be possible to file a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Common Types of Medication Errors in Roanoke
Various kinds of medication errors can occur in Roanoke, and the following are just some examples of situations involving preventable medication mistakes in which a healthcare provider may be liable for harm:
- Doctor prescribes the wrong medication to a patient;
- Doctor prescribes a medication to a patient that has a harmful interaction with the patient’s current drug regimen, and the doctor failed to closely examine the patient’s current drug regimen before prescribing the medicine that produced the harmful interaction;
- Doctor prescribes the wrong amount of a medication;
- Pharmacist fills the wrong prescription entirely, giving the patient a different drug than the one prescribed;
- Pharmacist fills the prescription with the wrong dosage of the prescribed medication; or
- Anesthesiologist uses the incorrect amount of anesthesia during a surgical procedure or operation.
Who is Liable for a Roanoke Medication Error?
Liability for a Roanoke medication mistake will depend upon the type of medication error that caused the patient’s injury. Healthcare providers who may be liable for a medication mistake include but are not limited to:
- Prescribing physician;
- Prescribing nurse practitioner or other healthcare provider;
- Anesthesiologist; and/or
- Facility where the medication error occurred.
Contact Our Roanoke Medication Error Lawyers
If you or someone you love suffered harm as a result of a medication mistake, it is critical to get in touch with one of our Roanoke medication error attorneys as soon as possible to learn more about your options for seeking financial compensation. You may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the healthcare provider who made the medication error, and in some cases, more than one party may be liable for your injuries. Do not hesitate to get in touch with our firm to learn more about how we can help you. Contact MichieHamlett today.