Types of Truck Accidents in Virginia
While they may make up a low proportion of all traffic-related collisions, truck accidents are the most likely to cause death, injuries, and other devastation for victims. According to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Traffic Crash Facts, there are almost 5,000 collisions involving semis, 18-wheelers, large trucks, and other commercial vehicles every year. Almost half of them cause a fatality or bodily harm to at least one person. From the size and weight of a truck, you can guess that the most seriously injured victims are occupants of the passenger car.
Virginia law does provide you with legal options as the victim of a truck collision, but the legal process is more complicated than other motor vehicle crashes. Instead of putting your rights at risk, trust our Virginia truck accidents attorneys at the MichieHamlett Law Firm to protect your interest. Please contact our office to set up a free consultation, and check out an overview about how these incidents happen.
Common Types of Truck Accidents
The underlying cause of truck crashes in Virginia is operator error and carelessness, which translates to negligence in the practice of law. You need to prove that the truck driver breached the legal duty to operate the vehicle safely, and this was the cause of the collision. Specific types of truck accidents include:
- Jackknifes, where the trailer of the truck slides ahead of the semi tractor;
- Rollover collisions, often caused by the operator taking curves too quickly;
- Underride crashes, in which a passenger vehicle slides underneath the trailer or truck tractor;
- Accidents caused by falling or unbalanced cargo, typically the result of improper loading or securing; and,
- Collisions that result from a defective part, component, or system installed on the truck.
Legal Challenges with Truck Accident Claims
Like most traffic crash cases, your first step toward obtaining compensation is filing a claim with the driver’s insurance company. If you cannot resolve your claim through settlement, you must go to court to recover monetary damages for your losses.
However, there are three key challenges that complicate truck accident cases. Our lawyers at the MichieHamlett Law Firm work to overcome legal obstacles, but you should be aware of them.
- Because of the devastating, violent force of a truck collision, you could suffer severe or catastrophic injuries. Medical losses alone could range in the hundreds of thousands.
- With such high stakes, you can be sure the insurance company will take every opportunity to deny or fight your claim.
- There are multiple potential parties in a truck crash claim, beyond the driver and insurer. You may need to pursue a trucking company, employer, loading and logistics company, manufacturer of parts, or other entities.
Discuss Your Legal Remedies with a Virginia Truck Accidents Attorney
Regardless of the type of truck crash that led to your injuries, you may gain some comfort from knowing that you do have rights and remedies under Virginia law. To learn more about them, please contact the MichieHamlett Law Firm to schedule a no-cost case evaluation. We can explain how the legal process works after reviewing your specific situation.