Virginia Title IX Defense Attorney
The federal government passed Title IX in 1972 as an amendment to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, expanding multiple civil rights protections to those participating in educational programs. The language states that no person shall be subjected to discrimination because of race, sex, religion, or many other protected characteristics. Colleges, universities, and any other educational programs that receive federal funds are bound to safeguard students by carrying out the terms and intentions of Title IX. Unfortunately, through their efforts, they frequently trounce upon the due process rights of others.
If you are facing allegations under Title IX, particularly accusations of sexual misconduct, it is critical to retain experienced legal counsel to defend your right to due process. Your future, or that of your child in college, depends upon taking quick action to protect your interests. Please contact the MichieHamlett Law Firm today to set up a consultation with a Virginia Title IX defense attorney. Some general information may help you understand the gravity of your circumstances.
How Title IX Claims Work in Virginia
Though Title IX was originally aimed at preventing a wide range of discrimination in the educational setting, college disciplinary actions often hinge on sexual misconduct. Assault, violence, harassment, and other acts on the basis of sex are views as so severe that they interfere with the affected student’s right to participate in educational programs.
As such, the institution is required to look into reports and punish those that violate Title IX protections. Administrators and other officials may:
- Question the alleged offender, at times without an attorney;
- Suspend the student for the duration of disciplinary proceedings;
- Interview witnesses and collect statements;
- Gather evidence, sometimes unlawfully; and,
- Conduct a hearing under the oversight of the institution’s employees.
However, in their overzealousness to protect the school’s interests in receiving federal financial support, officials often harm the rights of the accused student. He or she may face expulsion and criminal charges, which can trigger requirements to register as a sex offender. Plus, the emotional burden and interference with educational pursuits can have long-term consequences.
How Our Title IX Defense Lawyers Protect Your Interests
At the MichieHamlett Law Firm, we are dedicated to protecting your interests and civil rights. We will aggressively defend you or your child throughout the investigation and disciplinary process, with a focus on:
- Ensuring school administrators do not violate due process while investigating and questioning you;
- Forcing officials to uphold their duty of confidentiality during the proceedings;
- Uncovering evidence to exonerate you;
- Representing you at hearings;
- Responding to any type of retaliation you experience for engaging in protected activities; and,
- Filing complaints with the US Department of Education if your civil rights are threatened.
Contact a Virginia Title IX Defense Attorney About Your Options
If you have been accused of sexual assault or other misconduct at an education institution covered by civil rights laws, please contact the MichieHamlett Law Firm to speak with a member of our team. We can schedule a consultation with a Title IX defense lawyer who will fight for you and offer advice on how to proceed.