Roanoke Business and Corporate Law Attorney
The skilled Roanoke business and corporate law attorneys at MichieHamlett routinely give business owners advice on a wide variety of important legal topics. We can help businesses of all sizes, from sole proprietorships to large corporations. We are passionate about assisting Virginia business owners in understanding better the laws they are bound by and learning what is necessary to promote growth and additional opportunities.
Virginia Business Entity Formation
If you are just starting a business, choosing the right business type is crucial. There are several different structures to consider depending on your needs, goals, and business type. The most common business structures include:
- Sole proprietorship, which is owned by a single party
- General partnerships, which are businesses owned by two or more partners
- Limited Liability Companies are typically referred to as LLCs, and they operate similar to a corporation with limited liability, but their profits and losses are reported on personal income taxes, not the company’s
- Corporations, which can be set up either as S corps or C corps, and are independent legal entities that are entirely separate from their owners
Types of Business and Corporate Law Services
In addition to helping you set up a new business, our professional Roanoke business and corporate law attorneys can assist with a wide variety of other legal needs. Some of the most common services we represent clients for include:
- Business Registration: When you decide on what type of business structure you want to open, we can help you decide on a name, register it, and even trademark it.
- Business Transactions: We can assist with numerous types of business transactions, including contracts, business mergers, business acquisitions, selling a business, and other types of business deals.
- Employment-Related Matters: if you plan to hire employees, you must ensure you’re following all federal and state employment laws. We can assist with employment training, creating employee handbooks, contracts, and more. We can also represent your business if you’re accused of employment and labor law violations.
- Intellectual Property: Do you want to trademark something or have questions about someone violating your patent? Intellectual property laws protect business owners and individuals from having their copyrights, trademarks, and patents stolen or misused.
- General Business Counsel: Many corporations have corporate legal counsel on retainer for various needs. We can handle day-to-day operations and be there if any problems arise.
Business Litigation and Disputes
Unfortunately, business disputes are common. Sometimes, you may find yourself in disagreement with another business over breach of contract, or you need to dissolve an LLC because one of the members has decided to leave. Whatever the reason, you need a skilled lawyer on your side. At MichieHamlett, we can go over all the dispute resolution options available to you and explain how best to protect your business.
If your situation is best served with litigation, we will let you know and can help you file a lawsuit. We have litigation experience and aren’t afraid to take your case to trial if necessary.
Contact a Roanoke Business and Corporate Law Attorney
If you need assistance with any type of business or corporate law tasks, contact MichieHamlett Law Firm today to schedule an initial consultation. Let us put our years of business skills and experience to work for you.